Seabreeze cottage is nestled in the historic, quaint, working fishing village of Newlyn, in a sheltered, sunny position, over-looking Mounts Bay & the Lizard peninsular in the beautiful West of Cornwall.
Located at the cottage is Seabreeze’s information folder. Here you will find more detailed information of the places & activities I have mentioned below.
On your doorstep:
The bustling village provides amenities to make your stay comfortable, convenient & authentically Cornish, all within walking distance of the cottage:
- Five pubs-nearest one being The Red Lion, 5mins walk
- Many restaurants & cafes/takeaways-most of these are dog friendly! & certainly child friendly
- If Art is your thing, you will be delighted to know that the Newlyn Art School caters classes for all levels & mediums of artist. It is only 5mins walk from the cottage. painting courses at Newlyn Art school
- Newlyn independent filmhouse
- Fishmongers-offering the widest variety & freshest catch anywhere in the UK.
- Local cheese delicatessen
- Famous Cornish ice-cream parlour- Jelberts- not to be missed!
- Co-Op & Lidl supermarkets, Morrisons, Sainsbury & Tesco in Penzance
- Post-office, Barclays Bank & cash point.
- Whether you’re an artist or not, a browse at The Newlyn art Gallery is a delight, maybe adding lunch in their café with sea-views leaves you with an even better memory.
- Newlyn has a long history with the arts. The most recent being-a film & book released in 2013 ‘Summer in February’ by Jonathan Smith. Filmed all around Newlyn & Lamorna Cove, set at the beginning of 19th Century (there is a copy of the DVD at the cottage if you haven’t watched it yet, or the book for some holiday reading).
- There is a vibrant, live music culture, locally. Many of the local pubs offer a wide range of music from traditional folk, acoustic to modern pop and even open-mic sessions, at The Pirate in Penzance on Tuesday evening, if you fancy performing.
- The Tolcarn Inn in Newlyn has regular live Jazz with your Sunday lunch cooked by Michelin star chef. Look out for the local notice boards when visiting as to when & who is playing.
Penzance is our neighbouring town a mile away.
- It offers a wider range of shops & restaurants. You can shop to your hearts delight in local bouquets, antique & gift shops as well as major outlets.
- If it’s local produce & products you fancy there is a country market every Thursday & farmers market every Friday morning.
- Penzance has a main railway station from Paddington London,
- Day trips by Ferry boat to Isle of Silly.
- On the harbour promenade stands the elegant art-deco Lido. Seabreeze cottage has a fantastic view of this landmark. It is aWonderful place to spend a sunny afternoon with the family.
- Also here is a free skate park & children’s play area with bowling green.
- If the weather doesn’t permit outdoor swimming, then visit the leisure centre or the Savoy cinema.
- In Mounts Bay you will be able to take up many water pursuits from: Surfing, Windsurfing, Kitesurfing, kayaking, scuba diving, sailing, fishing & boat trips, rock-climbing & more.
- A must is either taking the path on foot at low tide or boat at high tide to the iconic St Michaels Mount & castle. After your visit you can rest & take in the fantastic views, while the kids & dog play & dig on the miles of sand & pebble beach’s surrounding the bay.
- Then there’s the picturesque harbour village of Mousehole to explore, a mile and a half the other side of Newlyn.
- Although there are many picturesque costal walks, there is also a good bus service connecting all surrounding towns & villages, along with an excellent taxi service in Newlyn if you wanted to leave the car at the cottage.
Annual Festivals at Newlyn & Penzance
- Golowan: Celebrated for ten days around summer solstice, (June 21st each year). Consists of Cornish & world music, dance, film, literature, fireworks, Mazey-day procession & Quay fair-day.
- Newlyn Fish festival: Celebrated over the August bank holiday weekend. Consists of Cooking demonstrations, visit fishing boats, sample food, music & dance.
- Montol Festival: Eve of winter solstice (22nd December). A week long programme of community events (most of which are free)-Celebrated by Cornish carols, candle dance, Guise dance, lantern parade, night lighting of the Mock (Cornish Yule log).
- Proms at Minack open-air theatre: With Mounts Charles band. End of September
The surrounding area:
West Cornwall has so many fantastic beaches, consistently voted in the top 10 beaches in country; you will enjoy finding your favourite.
Listed is a few of our favourites, but there are so many hidden coves for you to discover:
- Newlyn- 5mins walks
- Penzance- 15mins walk
- Lamorna cove
- Sennen cove
- Prussia cove
- St Ives
- Praa sands
- Kynance Cove
- Dollar cove
Walking: The South-West coastal path will wow you! The breathtaking scenery around the Lands End peninsular; with its unique, romantic, granite scenery, historic engine houses, high moorland & sunsets will leave you more than satisfied. We have a classic circular walks book for your convenience at the cottage, along with maps & guide books. There is also a an app to download from iwalk Cornwall making it easy & simple to navigate some fantastic circular walks all around West Cornwall.
Bird-watching: Marazion Marsh & Hayle Estuary are two of the most important sites for rare birds.
Golf course: are abundant in the area. Our nearest is Praa Sands. There are courses for all standards & handicaps.
Here is a list of more places of interest. Full details are in the information folder at the cottage.
- Day trips to Isles of scilly
- St Michael's Mount-National trust
- Lands’-end experience
- Sennen Food & craft Market-Every Tuesday 9am-12noon. Voted best farmers market in Cornwall past two years.
- Minack open-air theatre
- Porthcurno telegraphic museum
- Polgoon vineyard & cider orchard
- Rosskilly’s farm & Ice-cream parlour
- Ginvor tin mine
- Paradise park bird sanctuary
- Seal sanctuary
- Goonhilly Satelite Earth Station
- Flambards theme park
- National maritime museum- Flamouth
- Local gardens within a couple miles: Morrab, Penlee, Trengwainton, Trewidden,
- Surrounding area gardens: Trevarno, Trelissick, Trebah, Glendurgan, Bosvigo, Lost gardens of Heligan, Eden project
- Art galleries- Tate St Ives, Penlee house gallery & museum
- Southern most point on the Lizard….. and more